Robust, Resilient and Ready; assessing and strengthening governance in charities and eduction (edited by Amy Wewill and Edward Wild) brings together leaders and board members from across the charity and education sectors to focus on what good governance looks like and how to achieve it. This report combines insights into bold approaches to governance and its challenges from those managing and supporting charities, schools groups and universities.
Tesse Akpeki introduces the term emotional governance, describing the importance and significance of connection and nurturing relationships. Core building blocks are the board’s capacity to manage emotions, develop empathy, build and sustain relations and trust. Key considerations are how the board succeeds in strengthening the organisation’s performance against the backdrop of conformance.
The recruitment of charities trustees and their ongoing development and support are well thought through and targeted. The board knows the skills it requires and proactively attracts them from a broader pool. Macro governing is achieved by the board stepping back from the day to day running of the organisation and creating the space to be strategic. Applying compassionate governance and integrating digital platforms are a must in this ever changing hybrid environment. Contributions and expectations are clear, internal systems are effective and efficient. Encouragement keeps things going even when storms are raging, uncertainty is beckoning and things are getting challenging. Read the report here.
Equity and Equality In Fundraising Leadership
Gender, Equity in fundraising and any organisation must be intentional about creating leadership pipelines for women. In this video, Kathy Rabon, member of the AFP Women’s impact Initiative Committee, talks to Tesse Akpeki FCG, strategist and leadership coach about the concept of compassionate accountability and why it’s important to show support for yourself and to others.
World Values Day event Governance and Values 21st October 2021
Please allow me to introduce you and thank you so much for your enthusiasm for this panel discussion about Governance and Values as part of the programme for World Values Day. The topic has certainly received attention recently with stories about KPMG, RICS and others so fingers crossed for a good level of interest for the event.
The stimulating panel discussion hosted by Alan Williams took full advantage of the diverse and deep experience of our panel guests – Ed Mayo, Charlotte Valeur, Tesse Akpeki (Host TesseTalks) and Pete Westall who provided such a wealth of open and honest insight.
The framework: Questions for Discussion
- What does Governance mean (look/sound/feel like)?
- How do you engage current and, perhaps more challengingly, potential future employees with governance principles and application as an integral part of their day to day work?
- Consider the function of a top down decision making body when you want to foster a can-do, bottom up culture. If you have to rely on governance what does this say about the way your values are being lived… or not?
- What is the advice for leaders to avoid governance being seen as some sort of ‘exam’ that must be passed?
- What are significant challenges to navigate in the governance and values space: the size and breadth of many organisations is one and another is the common focus on high performance and a results-based environment. So how do you ensure authenticity and consistency of both governance & values at all levels?
- When have you seen very good governance in practice?
- The question of governance is often focussed on organisations and yet, in light of recent events, in US and elsewhere, what is the relevance of robust governance for nations’ governments and even governments collectively?
- What are you encouraged to do differently about governance and values as a result of this discussion?
What are the vital elements for building an effective team?
Tesse has made guest appearances on several shows. One of them is Job Searching Success. The link to all 3 sessions is listed below
- Links for PyroTalks CIC Session
- Job Searching Success & Wellbeing in Today’s Shifting Market
- Responding to the global trends in corporate governance